This post discusses technical detail - I'll discuss more after putting this out there!
In my previous post I described a system using source control to express and deliver software deployments. Here I'll expand on one piece of the jigsaw: an XML document type called Configuration Markup Language or CML. A potential RFC in progress?
In short CML should be capable of describing entire user service(s), or technically a software stack, from the hardware up!
Some initial thoughts on the technicalities involved:
- Must ultimatly describe required hardware type(s) and initial boot images used.
- Must refer to all dependant services (CML files).
- Must refer uniquly to a compatible software stack used to 'run' this CML file see 'Builder Appliance'.
- Describes every post boot configuration change and refers uniquly to all binary image(s) and other files required to get the job done!
- Will NOT describe any deployment detail specific to a specific site or environment instalation; these details (host names, passwords, ports, number of devices available and unique references etc.) should be held in an environment specific repository.
Post a Comment